The best way to become successful is to serve other people. The best way to serve others is to share your expertise with them. So how do you become an expert? You can do it in less time than you think.
1) Determine what you want to be your expertise. It’s easier and faster to become an expert at something you’ve already been working on and that you enjoy doing. If you’re looking to become an expert in something totally new, you can do it; it’s just going to take longer.
This is where I advise finding your Passionate Purpose. Working to become an expert at that will lead you to be more successful, fulfilled, and joyful, than simply looking to become an expert in something you think will make you money.
Don’t get me wrong, making money is great, but it’s super great if you’re making money doing something you’re passionate about. Otherwise, it can turn into a pair of golden handcuffs.
2) Go one step further and determine in what niche you want your expertise.
Whatever field you decide to study, there are countless niches to focus on. Find a niche that matches what you’re passionate about and that you can generate income with. (Remember – everything you love won’t make you money.)
3) Go deeper still and define the market you want to target your expertise to.
Keep this target market in mind as you’re becoming an expert. What do they want to know? What problems can you help them solve? What pain can you take away, and what pleasure can you help provide, with your expertise?
4) Determine the keywords that define your expertise.
Use those keywords to:
- Set up Google Alerts – this will allow you to receive daily updates on the latest news in your field and niche
- Search iTunes for related podcasts – listen to the most popular ones
- Search YouTube for related “how to” videos – watch the most popular ones
- Search for blogs – read the most popular ones
- Search for seminars and online courses – use the ones that hit your target the best
5) Read one, best selling book a month on your subject.
It amazes me how many times I hear people brag about not reading books. Why is that now a badge of honor? You can get more out of a great book than you can out of a college course, a seminar, or one video – and for a lot less money.
Read these books to use the knowledge that is in them. I read books in my field as if I’m going to have a final exam.
I read like this:
- Frist time through I just read the book
- Second time through I highlight what resonates with me and make notes
- Third time through I focus on my highlights
- Fourth time through I start implementing the ideas into my life
If you read one book a month, in just one year you’ll know more about the field than 99% of the people you come in contact with.
Bonus: If you’re a great reader/studier, you can supercharge this be reading one book a week.
6) Start blogging about your quest to become an expert right away.
People love to see how other people do it. They love getting a behind the scenes view to your struggles and your successes. The more honest you are about the obstacles you’ve hit, the better.
Blogging about this will help you improve your writing skills, lock in the new information you’re learning, and build your brand.
Google “how to start a blog.” It’s very easy and cheap to do. For around ten bucks you can buy a domain name, and for another ten a month you can have your site hosted. Use a free theme on WordPress and you’re ready to roll.
7) Use what your learning in the real world.
It’s one thing to know theories, facts, and how to do something. It’s very different to actually do it. Your story of using your expertise in your life will carry more weight with most people than any letters after your name.
Once you’ve completed these seven steps, it’s time to start displaying your expertise. I’ll cover that in my next post.
I now offer one to one coaching and an online coaching program for various budgets. Click here for more details.
Please note: I reserve the right to delete comments that I view as rude, snarky, mean or off-topic. Hey, this is to support each other and have fun! Let's Go!