After you do the work to look inside yourself and find out what you really want out of life, the next step is finding your why. Why do you want all the things you want?
After a recent speech I gave, a woman came up to me and asked a great question: “How specific should your why be?”
My answer: As specific as you can make it.
Your why is the driving force behind your Passionate Purpose and all the goals you set in the pursuit of it.
Every successful person I know agrees with the idea that if your “why” is strong enough, you will do what is necessary to find the “how.” Then you will put in the work to make it happen. And there will be plenty of work. You must make yourself the person you need to be to achieve your goals. You must be committed to increasing your education, skills, and experience to meet the demands that come with what you want. Figure out what they are and do something every day to get you closer to where you want to go.
The whole point is to get your life focused on your why. This is why you are alive! This is your purpose. The more specific you can be about why you want it, the more energized you’ll be to do it. Get super specific on why you want to change your life.
Then we’ll take that specific why and create goals to guide you down your path to living the life you were born to live. These goals are not ends in themselves, they are measurable ways to show you’re on the right track pursuing your Passionate Purpose.
Here’s what I mean. What is the purpose of your financial goal? Yes, of course it’s to earn more money, but why? What is your purpose for earning more money?
Is it so you can be financially independent to the point you no longer have to work while maintaining the lifestyle you’ve always dreamed of?
Is it so you can take better care of your family, make memories with them on special vacations, allow your children to take piano lessons, expand your business so you can positively affect more people, give more generously, live in a beautiful home?
Is it all of the above?
How would achieving that goal make you feel?
What is it about the goal that pushes your Passionate Purpose forward? Get crystal clear on your why.
What is it for you? Why are you pursuing your purpose and your goals? Spend some time thinking about it.
Here’s how you do it:
1) Write down your Passionate Purpose or a goal and then ask yourself, “Why do I want this?”
2) List as many reasons as you can. Keep going past the material reasons into the emotional reasons.
3) Then for each reason you wrote down ask yourself again, “Why do I want this?”
4) Keep doing that until you can’t answer the question anymore. You might be surprised at what types of whys you find that you have never brought to your conscious mind before.
5) Make a new list of your most important whys. Read the list every morning and night.
6) Spend 5 minutes every day imagining how it will feel when you’re living out your why. How will it change your life and the lives of the people you love?
This is why you work so hard. This is what will motivate you through the tough times. This is what makes it all worth it.
I want to give as many people as possible my free eBook, 5 Steps to Finding Your Purpose. Please forward this to a friend who needs it. If they click here, they can get the free eBook.