“How do I get promoted, get a better job, make more money – move up?”
1) Work as if you are the boss, not just an employee meeting your job description.
“I determine to render more and better service, each day, than I am being paid to render. Those that reach the top are the ones who are not content with doing only what is required of them.”
― Og Mandino,
2) Find the most important things you can do at your current position and do those first.
3) Look for new responsibilities and new projects that will provide maximum value to your organization.
4) Constantly learn new skills while improving your current skills. Use them to add value to what you were hired to do.
“Plenty of men can do good work for a spurt and with immediate promotion in mind, but for promotion you want a man in whom good work has become a habit.”
– Henry L. Doherty
5) Fix a problem or a flaw in the way your company operates.
6) Give your insights in a positive way whenever possible.
7) Dress for the job you want.
8) Act “as if” you have already been promoted.
“There is no future in any job. The future lies in the man who holds the job.”
– George Crane
If you do these things consistently, people will notice. Even if your current boss doesn’t promote you, someone else will. It will also prepare you for an even better position somewhere else.
Remember to make sure you’re putting in all this effort to help you get to where your true calling lies – or at least as a way to transition to your true calling.