“Greg, I have a couple ideas on what I love to do, but no clue how to make money doing them.”
I hear you. I have 7 tips on how to get started doing that, but first you need to hear this story.
I know a guy who is a self-described geek. He also has a Passionate Purpose to be an actor. He worked at it for a long time with limited success.
One of the things he loves is Star Wars. One night at the comedy club, he decided to do a bit on the original Star Wars movie. It was a hit. He then expanded it to a one-man show of the original trilogy of Star Wars. He is every character, sound effect and musical instrument in the production. He added in humor and he ad-libs a bit with the audience for good measure.
He has been touring the world to sold out crowds with this show for 15 years! I just saw him at Starlight in Kansas City in front of several hundred people with ticket prices between $25 and $50. I think he’s doing ok financially.
Click here for an example of this crazy show by Charles Ross.
Here’s a photo of my family right before we saw the show. (We’re the ones not in costume.)
Remember, most of us don’t have just one thing we love. This doesn’t have to be a search for that. That’s a lot of pressure to find the “perfect job.”
Even people doing what they love still don’t love every part of the job. That’s ok.
Here are some tips:
- Get clear on a couple things you love to do and why you love to do them. Write it down. Then write down the question, what can I do with my unique talents in these areas to serve others? Read what you want, why you want it and your question about how to serve every morning, noon and night. Unleash the power of your conscious and subconscious minds to start coming up with ideas.
- Another way: Look at all the things you love and match them up with your skills.
- Become world class at what you really love. As Steve Martin said, “Be so good they can’t ignore you.” When you get to that level, you have skills and abilities that almost no one else has. That will open all kinds of doors towards earning money.
- Do an Internet search on “careers/jobs/opportunities/positions in _______”
- Keep doing a job you like, and work on what you love in your spare time. Perhaps it can become your new career or a supplement to your income.
- Find someone who is already doing what you want to do. Take them to lunch and get all your questions answered. Try to find a way you can help them. Ask what you can do to repay them for their time and information. Perhaps they will become your mentor.
- Use your knowledge of what you love to create and sell a product or service online. For example, create a “how to” online course with a skill you’re particularly good at.
Life is too short to do something you hate 40-60 hours a week.
Don’t believe the people who tell you to give up looking for what you love and just do something that pays the bills the rest of your life.
Questions for comments: What things that you love to do are you having trouble figuring out a way to monetize? I’d like to help you come up with some ideas.
Please note: I reserve the right to delete comments that I view as rude, snarky, mean or off-topic. Hey, this is to support each other and have fun! Let's Go!